Re: [EXIM] RBL

Author: Sean Witham
To: George Bonser
CC: Evan Leibovitch, John Bolding, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RBL

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> > This does sound similar to a credit check. It is known that someone
> > can be "black listed" simply beacuse the previous resident of their
> > address had a bad credit record. This happens even more often with
> > those who have a common surname ! it can take a while for someone to
> > find out the reason why they are being refused credit is bsaed on
> > someone elses bad debt record. Correcting this cna also be very
> > difficult. The question is how will JUDGES deal with this with regaurd
> > to denial of service on the internet.
>
> You can not deny credit to everyone living on a particular street simply
> because there are a couple of deadbeats in the neighborhood.
>
> What you are saying is to deny someone credit because their neighbor does
> not pay their bills.

NO I did not. I was pointing out that credit can be denied because
the previous occupant at your address had a bad credit reference. You
have to then take steps to have your name cleared from the bad credit
list. This may only ocour in some countires where the surname matches
as well as the address but it does occur.
This is not to say that you can be legally denied credit but you will
be denied credit until you prove that their records are in error.

> I do not think this will go far. The parctice is called "redlining" in
> the US and is illegal.

In which case it should only happen to those with the same surname and
only when simple basic checks are made. If they have your age marital
status etc they will probablly not match you against someone else.

However how much PERSONAL information should you have to give to prove
who you are ?

--Sean