Re: [EXIM] RBL

Author: George Bonser
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RBL

> Oh, but they do. That's the power and the plight of the consumer. Of
> course the customers don't share in profits but they certainly
> contribute to them. If users can't convince their ISPs to mend their
> ways then they can certainly stop paying to support them. As I've
> already said: almost everyone everywhere has a choice these days (though
> not always at a cut-rate price -- but that's the "price" you pay to save
> hard currency).

Maybe you are unaware of the scope of the situation. Once upon a time
there was an entity called Net99 that provided internet connectivity at
low cost (and low quality, I might add) to small Ma and Pa BBS operators
scattered about. Many of these are in small towns where they are the only
ISP. Having lived in a very rural area with only one internet provider,
your choices in facillities for hosting a domain can be severely limited.

Net99 was swallowed by AGIS and brought a lot of good folks into a bad
situation through no fault of their own.

What I worry about is one or two or six /28 netblocks causing blocking of
a quite legitimate /28 on the same /24. I often have legitimate dealings
with such a small, struggling operator whose choice is a bad ISP or none
at all. I would like to use RBL with the option to allow connectivity to
a known good site.

In my personal opinion, your attitude smacks of the same problems that I
am seeing with smail development ... kill it in order to save it. Yeah, it
will do everything in exactly the "right" way or not at all and so in the
end, people abandon it for its inflexability. Sometimes there is no
absolute right or wrong ... it is a lot like language ... it evolves and
rules are modified over time to accept reality.

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!