Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities

Author: Evan Leibovitch
To: Piete Brooks
CC: Vladimir Litovka, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Piete Brooks wrote:

> > What is RBL ?

> It is a internet service which *eveyone* should use to help block SPAM.

...that is high on my short-term list of Necessary Evils. There are
big-brother aspects of RBL that I detest, though I will probably use it
when it comes to production Exim because the alternatives are worse.

> rbl_except_nets =
>     You have the control over which "blocked" sites are actually allowed
>     (local policy may differ from the RBLs policy - *YOU* are in control)

Let's not fool ourselves; when you subscribe to the RBL technology (and
accompanying philosophy), you are letting the RBL maintainers have control
over who can reach your site. Having a static exception list will
probably be of little value considering how dynamic and fast-moving the
rbl process is. And if you had the time to second-guess the RBL response
to each incoming connection, you wouldn't need RBL anyway.

It is my hope that RBL is a short-term fix, and that spammers will
eventually find the practise unprofitable as the pool of unsuspecting
suckers fries up.

Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
Supporting PC-based Unix since 1985 / Caldera & SCO authorized / www.telly.org
----------------- HURD is to Linux as Plan 9 is to System V ------------------