Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities

Author: Piete Brooks
To: Evan Leibovitch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities
>> It is a internet service which *eveyone* should use to help block SPAM.
> ...that is high on my short-term list of Necessary Evils.

Sure.

> There are big-brother aspects of RBL that I detest, though I will probably
> use it when it comes to production Exim because the alternatives are worse.

... and I am lazy !

> Let's not fool ourselves; when you subscribe to the RBL technology (and
> accompanying philosophy), you are letting the RBL maintainers have control
> over who can reach your site.

No -- they are the first level.

If there are problems, *I* can fix them.
If there are lots of problems, I contact the managers and discuss it.
If that fails, I stop using them.

> Having a static exception list will probably be of little value considering
> how dynamic and fast-moving the rbl process is.

If the block is transient, no problem.
My concern is if they had *NOT* removed the block on the ox.ac.uk mailer.
*THEN* I would have explixitly allowed them.

> It is my hope that RBL is a short-term fix, and that spammers will
> eventually find the practise unprofitable as the pool of unsuspecting
> suckers fries up.

And mine !