Re: [EXIM] Feature request

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chris A. Mattingly
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Feature request
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Chris A. Mattingly wrote:

> I just started toying with exim yesterday, and find its ease of use combined
> with lots of functionality to be a big bonus. The only thing that is
> keeping me from testing it in a near-production environment is the lack
> of hesiod support.

As far as I know, you are the first person to raise this in connection
with Exim.

> [1] A simple hes_resolve("username","pobox") returns a char ** containing
> in it "POP mailhost.name username". Match mailhost.name against the
> canonical name of the local machine. On a match, do local delivery, if
> not, forward it directly to the mailhost.name returned from hesiod.

In Exim terminology, all you would be doing is using hesiod as an
alternative form of aliasing, with slightly unusual parsing of the
output. If "hesiod" were implemented as yet another form of lookup item,
you could use something like this

hesiod:
  driver = smartuser
  new_address = "${if match{${lookup{$local_part}hesiod{pobox}{$value}{}}\

However, there are questions to be asked about hesiod. I seem to recall
that it is sort-of DNS based? Yes? In that case, there is a big problem,
because as well as "yes" and "no", a DNS-based lookup can yield "don't
know" - i.e. "try again later". Currently, Exim lookups of this type
expect to succeed or fail, so some planning and thought would need to be
done before adding anything of this kind.