Directors and hubs

Author: Jon Peatfield
To: Exim Users
Subject: Directors and hubs
We have a number of machines which will accept SMTP from the outside world,
though only one has the spool which we deliver into on it. I want to be able
to set each of them up to know that local processing is done on any of them
except for final delivery.

i.e. I want it to perform alias expansion and look at the user's .forward
file, but not actually do delivery if the user is local. (So that for example
a user who has forwarded their mail elsewhere still gets it delivered even if
our mail spool is dead).

I *could* have a smartuser director after aliasfiles/forwardfiles but then it
will punt the stuff over for any local-part not just one which is a real user.

I may be able to use a localuser director with the transport being smtp with
some magic option to cause it to go to the correct host (the spec isn't very
clear about if this would work).

Of course I could trust that exim does the right thing about NFS deliveries,
and deliver anyway (assuming it will retry properly if the volume is missing).
I'm not sure that I trust anything to get delivery right over NFS though.

If check_local_user was a generic director option, then I could have the
smartuser director only punt over the addresses which were for local users.

Similarly if $home expanded in smartuser I could check for the existance of
the home directory using the generic require_files option. But $home isn't
available here.

Of course I may have missed the "obvious" way to do this.

[ I could tell you how we do this with smail but that is too nasty to
mention in public... ]

-- Jon