Re: Anti spam filter

Author: T. William Wells
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Anti spam filter
In article <E0xSJyJ-00050z-00@???>,
Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???> wrote:
: The junkbuster service, as I understand it, freezes everything on the way

junkproof.com

: in then selectively releases items that it believes to be non-spam. This
: uses an external program to examine the messages.

That is correct.

: I have throught, but not yet acted, on the idea, of having a continuous
: log monitor which keeps "score" of mail senders, recipients, sender-ips
: etc, and changes a set of rule files on the fly.

That works, more or less. There are several problems with it,
though. The first is that you'll generally end up letting some
spam through, until enough information gets in the logs to cut it
off. Also, many useful pieces of information are not logged; lots
of spam, for instance, is detected by looking for particular text
in the message body. Finally, you can end up with a *huge* filter
and that might not be practicable on a significantly large
installation....