Re: Directors and hubs

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Peatfield
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: Directors and hubs
On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Jon Peatfield wrote:

> I may be able to use a localuser director with the transport being smtp with
> some magic option to cause it to go to the correct host (the spec isn't very
> clear about if this would work).

I don't see why not. The "hosts" option could have a fixed host name or
look up the name per-user if you have your population split.

> Of course I could trust that exim does the right thing about NFS deliveries,
> and deliver anyway (assuming it will retry properly if the volume is missing).
> I'm not sure that I trust anything to get delivery right over NFS though.

Well, the big systems near to you (CUS, Hermes) all do local deliveries
over NFS, and have been doing so using Exim for a couple of years...

> If check_local_user was a generic director option, then I could have the
> smartuser director only punt over the addresses which were for local users.

That is no different from using localuser, whose function is precisely
to check which local parts are local users.