Re: Problem with Exim 1.73 under Solaris 2.6

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave Pifke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Problem with Exim 1.73 under Solaris 2.6
On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Dave Pifke wrote:

> My (previously working) copy of Exim has stopped working after upgrading the
> box in question from Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 2.6.
>
> I now get the following when trying to do a queue run:
>
> 1997-11-03 17:29:26 0xSXYk-0007Hy-00 Unable to get interface configuration:
> 22 Invalid argument
>
> I have tried recompiling under a 2.6-native gcc, to no avail. No errors or
> warnings are generated during the compile.

The code for finding out the IP addresses of all the local interfaces is
something that seems to be a bit dodgy. The previous version had to be
tweaked so as to be different for BSD systems. My guess is that Sun
might have made some changes in preparation for IPv6, which is coming in
Solaris 2.7 I understand.

You can get round this problem by supplying a list of your local
interfaces explicitly in the local_interfaces option, e.g.

local_interfaces = 123.123.123.123:111.111.111.111

Exim then doesn't have to run that particular bit of code.

This doesn't of course solve the underlying problem. The code in
question starts at line 322 in in the module host.c, and is only a few
lines long.

> Besides the upgrade from 2.6, the only other thing I can think might have
> broken it was adding a bunch of virtual interfaces, however we have a
> 2.5.1+ISS1.0 box running under the exact same configuration and version of
> Exim.

That is possibly related.

> Anyone seen this before or have suggestions as to where to look further?

Our boxes are still running 2.5 (and in any case don't have virtual
interfaces) so I can't myself investigate this one. If you are able to
investigate the code in host.c and find out what the problem is, I'd be
grateful.

Philip