Re: Wildcard in aliasfile?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Ryde
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: Wildcard in aliasfile?
On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Daniel Ryde wrote:

> If there are many "rcpt to:" in one mail

[that all go through the wildcard in an alias file]

> I loose all but the last address in the "Envelope-to:" header.

After some thought, I have come to the conclusion that this is a bug.
The Envelope-to header ought to contain *all* the top-level addresses
that relate to a single delivery.

It turns out that it isn't too hard to fix this bug, and I have done so
in my development code. So if, for example, you have root and hostmaster
and postmaster all aliased to the same person, then a message that is
sent to all three of them results in a single delivery, containing

A byproduct of this is that if somebody sends mail to the same address
twice, it appears twice in the Envelope-to header. While it would be
possible with some messing around to avoid this, I'm not sure it would
actually be right anyway.

Would this solve your wildcard aliasing problem, Daniel?

Anybody got any other comments on this?

Philip