Re: Wildcard in aliasfile?

Author: Daniel Ryde
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: Wildcard in aliasfile?
On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> After some thought, I have come to the conclusion that this is a bug.
> The Envelope-to header ought to contain *all* the top-level addresses
> that relate to a single delivery.
>
> It turns out that it isn't too hard to fix this bug, and I have done so
> in my development code. So if, for example, you have root and hostmaster
> and postmaster all aliased to the same person, then a message that is
> sent to all three of them results in a single delivery, containing

> A byproduct of this is that if somebody sends mail to the same address
> twice, it appears twice in the Envelope-to header. While it would be
> possible with some messing around to avoid this, I'm not sure it would
> actually be right anyway.

It might be better to leave the duplicates, then this could be translated
back to the actual rcpt commands.

> Would this solve your wildcard aliasing problem, Daniel?

Yes, definatley. But what will happen to others in compability aspects?
Can it be defined as a variable in conjunktion with add_header instead?

Best Regards

Daniel Ryde, System Administrator
Tripnet AB                Visit Address:      Telephone:  +46 31 7252500
Box 5071                  Avagen 42           Facsimile:  +46 31 7252501
S-402 22 GOTEBORG         GOTEBORG            Email:      ryde@???
Sweden                    Sweden