Re: UUCP

Author: Chris Thompson
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: UUCP
Nigel Metheringham writes:

> exim (and I believe qmail) are not designed for UUCP bang path operation.
> smail is designed for this (to the extent that if you are not careful it
> can add bang paths!), sendmail will handle it.

I observed an interesting consequence of smail's bang-path-awareness earlier
this year. Some spam with a return path of <YES!@???>, or something like
that, was accepted by our Exim systems but rejected by some departmental
ones using smail. This was not because they had better spam filters, but
because the form of the local-part somehow confused smail into rejecting it!

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.