Re: newbee getting better

Author: Piete Brooks
To: webadmin
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Replacing dbm files (was: Re: newbee getting better)
Subject: Re: newbee getting better
> As for the aliases file, the dbm would be better, but I dont want to
> keep rebuilding the dbm after every entry to it. I think this will be
> really slow, if I have about 50000 entries (but then so would the linear
> aliase file). Is there a way of updating the dbm on the fly, so I dont
> have to rebuild. One of the reasons why I am looking at exim instead of
> sendmail is the problem with the rebuilding of the dbm files.

Note that you should not actually change the dbm files "on the fly", as they
are not locked.
Any updates should be atomic (read "be done by file renaming").
So, if you are using a dbm with a single file, you can (I think) quite safely
copy the old file to a temp version, use your favourite dbm editing command to
add the new info, and then atomically replace the file by a rename.
Any long-running instances of exim may continue using the old file (if they
have it open), so things may get inconsistant, but it should not be too much
of a problem.