Re: Another Exim success story (and Questions)

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Skye Merlin Poier
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Another Exim success story (and Questions)
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Skye Merlin Poier wrote:

> 1. In the Exim Overview, at the very bottom, it says:

... in the section entitled "The Exim Monitor" ...

> 2. Noticed that messages with invalid recipient and invalid sender causes
>    the bounce message to get frozen (forever, I assume).  I'd rather it
>    emulated the behaviour of sendmail and just forwarded the failed bounce
>    to postmaster@??? ... is this a job for a new director?  Examples
>    anyone?

They aren't frozen for ever if you set auto_thaw. Eventually one thaw
will try, fail, and discover it is past the ultimate throw-away time.
You can also set

ignore_errmsg_errors

which cause them just to be thrown away, or

ignore_errmsg_errors_after

which causes them to be thrown away after some specific time, and you
can also set

freeze_tell_mailmaster, which will send an informative message whenever
a message is frozen.

> 3. Is the order of directors important?  That is, does it apply them
>    sequentially from top to bottom?

Yes. Routers too. Only for transports is the order unimportant.