Re: anti-relaying

Author: Dom Mitchell
To: Tim Cutts
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: anti-relaying
Tim Cutts wrote:
> I'm not convinced it should be a default. I think the vast majority of
> sites exim is running on are probably sites where users do not necessarily
> read their mail actually on the machine, but rather use POP or IMAP. As a
> result they will probably use the machine as an SMTP server also, and it
> will therefore be relaying. Switching this off by default could cause a
> lot of confusion for people transferring to exim for the first time.
>
> But I take your point. :-)

Thanks, it is something that needs a look at. :-)

> I am beginning to think that having a sensible generic default skeleton
> configuration file is almost impossible. It might be sensible to include
> a script in future releases of exim which asks the user questions and then
> produces a skeleton exim configuration more appropriate to their site. My
> Debian Linux package of exim has such a script, although I don't know how
> suitable it is for general use. I filched large chunks of it from the
> Debian smail package's configuration script, and 'eximized' it.

I was half contemplating putting together a set of m4 macros somewhat
similiar to the way that sendmail does things. You could have
various different features put together quite easily then. But,
from the quick look I had at it, it would still require quite a
bit of manual user intervention with the result. Maybe the last
step of "make install" should be "vi /usr/exim/configure". :-)

-Dom