Re: anti-relaying

Author: Tim Cutts
To: Dom Mitchell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: anti-relaying
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Dom Mitchell wrote:

> I think various people are already putting together sample
> configuration files for exim an so on, but could we please have
> the default exim configuration have a line like:
>
> sender_host_reject_relay = "*"
>
> I feel that shipping exim configured as a relay "out of the box"
> these days is going to cause more trouble than it's worth, I'm
> afraid[1]. At a minimum, we should include in the sample configuration
> a large warning sign, followed by an example of how to prevent
> relaying.

I'm not convinced it should be a default. I think the vast majority of
sites exim is running on are probably sites where users do not necessarily
read their mail actually on the machine, but rather use POP or IMAP. As a
result they will probably use the machine as an SMTP server also, and it
will therefore be relaying. Switching this off by default could cause a
lot of confusion for people transferring to exim for the first time.

But I take your point. :-)

I am beginning to think that having a sensible generic default skeleton
configuration file is almost impossible. It might be sensible to include
a script in future releases of exim which asks the user questions and then
produces a skeleton exim configuration more appropriate to their site. My
Debian Linux package of exim has such a script, although I don't know how
suitable it is for general use. I filched large chunks of it from the
Debian smail package's configuration script, and 'eximized' it.

Tim.