Re: Envelope-to header

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Behan Webster
Cc: Exim Users
Asunto: Re: Envelope-to header
On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Behan Webster wrote:

> We use exim here to deliver all email for a particular domain
> into a single mailbox. This multidrop mailbox is then downloaded
> with fetchmail (which uses the Envelope-to header to figure out
> who to deliver the mail to) on a dial-up ppp line.
>
> The problem is that if email is forwarded or aliased within exim,
> the Envelope-to header is not updated, and then fetchmail doesn't
> know where to deliver the mail to. The Envelop-to header
> seems to record the envelope address of the incoming message only.
>
> Is there anyway of getting exim to set the Envelope-to header
> to the envelope address of the outgoing message? I'd like it
> to reflect any address changes due to /etc/aliases, ~/.forward,
> etc.

Oh dear. For "normal" deliveries, the whole point of the Envelope-to
header is to show the original recipient address, because the final
recipient address is the delivery mailbox and therefore "obvious".
Envelope-to enables people who receive a message that doesn't contain
their address in the headers to track down why that particular message
was delivered to them. In normal usage, putting in a header with the
ultimate delivery address is pointless, as it will always be the same.

The next release of Exim contains an option for specifying the addition
of headers per transport. That should enable you to add some private
header of your own (or even one called "Envelope-To" if you like) which
contains the actual local part and domain of the particular delivery.

I'm hoping to make the code of the next release available for testing
later this week.