locally_caseless in exim 1.62.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Friso Kuipers
A: Exim users list
Asunto: locally_caseless in exim 1.62.
Hello everybody,

After getting the to lib db or gdbm or ndbm problem straight I succeeded to
compile exim 1.6.2 on my Linux box (modified Slackware 3.0, 2.0.29 SMP kernel,
gcc 2.7.2.1, lib db 1.8.5).

Because Slackware comes with both gdbm and db there is no stub for ndbm <ndbm.h>
available. Make will complain and die, so you have to decide which lib you want
to use. I went for db and fished a full libdb.1.8.5.tar.gz from the net
(ftp.leo.org got one somewhere in the section development, Berkeley dropped it
in favor of 2.0). I took ndbm.h out of it and put it in /usr/include, changed
LIBDBM= -lndbm to -ldb in Makefile.Linux, uncommented USE_DB=yes (or something
like that) in Makefile.default and behold, I got a real life exim within a
minute.

Some testing showed promising results, but the uppercase letters in my hostname
(GroteErg) were gone. According to the doc one should put "locally_caseless =
false" in configure, but this didn't work. On a hunch I installed exim 1.6.1.
Guess what, I got my uppercases back.

Question: Is 1.6.2 broken in this respect, or are there machines out there which
do not exhibit this behaviour? Or am I the only person who wants to give his box
a weird name?

Warning: If you use fetchmail 3.9.2 as a pop3 client and exim as a MTA your
mailbox on your mailserver will get blocked forever if you get bounced mail.
Fetchmail will try to pass off mail From: <MAILER-DAEMON@???> as
mail From: <MAILER-DAEMON> plain. Exim will refuse delivery because the sender
lacks a domain. Sendmail 8.8.5 will not complain, but this is a breach of the
protocol (no canonical names, no delivery). I contacted the author about this.
Fetchmail 1.7 and exim work well together.

BTW: I saw in the mail that some people encountered switches between gcc and cc
during complile. I got those too after messing with time.h in /usr/include and
/usr/include/sys. After reinstalling the old ones all was well. Maybe theirs are
broken too. On my sytem there are three of them, but all different.

Yours sincerely,
F.Kuipers.

N.b. All mistakes in spelling and grammar are because I'm Dutch.