Re: eximon

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: m.hampson
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: eximon
}
} Have you any development plan for eximon in mind?

I have ideas but no code!!!

} On a busy mail switch its scrolling most of the time
} in the log window and my whole X server freezes up when
} it updates the queue area.
}
} As it stands on a busy system, its difficult to see the wood
} from the trees. Can we start a discussion as to how this management
} tool can be enhenced.

I'll outline what I was thinking of, but at present I don't have a
schedule to do any work on it...

Firstly I was intending to throw the current code - no offence its just
that I was going to aim to use a Tk base and get some additional
configurability and functions without having to code them for basic X
widgets. I also have some other requirements that need significant
recoding so that was part of the reasoning...

I want to go client server basically because we don't have X on the main
mail machines. The intention was to allow a single duplex channel between
the display code and the backend (provided by ssh probably, but I didn't
want to limit options).

Ability to colourise log entries based on what they are....
Ability to hide unwanted log entries....
Queue display would have one line per entry summary, click on that gives
another window with control buttons and last n lines of log (have to ask
for more).

Other things if and when - but then its vapourware at present :-)

My main decision at present is whether to build a Tk graph widget into
perl and do the whole thing in perl (which suits me better), or just use
straight tcl/Tk (not my favourite language!).

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]