Re: eximon

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: m.hampson, exim-users
Subject: Re: eximon
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Firstly I was intending to throw the current code - no offence its just

None taken. It could do with throwing away.

> that I was going to aim to use a Tk base and get some additional

The original "smailmon" I wrote was done with Perl4-Tk. It worked fine,
except that if you left it running all day it gradually ate your store
and your machine fell over. So I re-implemented in C. When I did this I
discovered I far preferred the Athena stripcharts - thinner lines for
one thing. Of course, things will be different with Perl5.

The current Eximon shares some C functions with Exim itself - for
example, the function to read a header file from the spool. Doing it all
in another language would require close monitoring to keep in step. Of
course, if you used Perl you could possibly arrange ways of calling
suitable C modules that contained the relevant Exim functions.