Re: [exim] Error while checking expression with exim -be

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Error while checking expression with exim -be
Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote on 14.03.2023 14:18:

>> exim: length limit exceeded (386 > 256) for: recipient
>
> Yes, I've run into that (just this week!)
>
> I assume the "-be <arg>" was a retrofit after the use
> of a trailing arg for a mail recipient, and just uses the same
> machinery.
>
> What you can do is use the interactive mode of -be instead;
> that's ok up to more like a kB - and after that, use "backlash, newline"
> continuations.

I need to run exim -be with the same expression multiple times
(Office365 OAutn2 access token response size is over 4K). The size of
the expression is quite large. Entering this expression interactively
many times will be very inconvenient.

So far I have switched to passing the expression through stdin.

But a few months ago I ran into the problem of passing some expressions
through stdin. And then I switched to using passing expressions through
a command line parameter. Now I can hardly remember what exactly were
the problems with passing expressions through stdin.

p. s. Due to the need to check for large HTTP responses, I had to change
the size of debug_buffer from 2048 bytes to 8192 bytes in the
src/debug.c file. A few years before I used 4096 bytes and that was enough.

--
Best wishes Victor Ustugov
mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua