Re: [exim] IRC channel for Exim

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Cyborg
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] IRC channel for Exim
Am 26.05.21 um 10:55 schrieb Jeremy Harris via Exim-users:
> Hi All,
>
> We have used Freenode for an IRC channel (#exim) for many years.
> Recent developments are making me consider a move, possibly
> to irc.libera.chat (port 6697 for SSL; #exim).  The channel
> exists but I've not yet gotten it confirmed as representing
> the Exim project.
>
> If anyone wants to comment, please raise a hand.

Reminder: The Freenode Bridge to Matrix (#freenode_#exim:matrix.org )
must be established from LibraChat.

The next question is easy to guess.. why not switching to Matrix? It
would be the perfect moment.

As one already there, it's great :)

<advocating>
Matrix has some benefits:

It's easy to self host i.e. on exim.org. This way the channel will
persist as long as exim lives.
If the room is made public, anyone with a matrixaccount can join, no
additional setup required.
No trouble with NICKSERV anymore.

Matrix has a build in Rightsmanagement:

You can have private & secure group channels i.e. for devs & maintainers
only
Moderators for the public rooms.

In common clients, E2EC is implemented, which makes it pretty secure to
exchange security related informations about Exploits etc.

Matrix also supports exchange of media files, in case it's needed and
i.e. inside fedora sig mobility, we make use of it a lot. But i can
forsee that this is to limited use in an exim group ;)

Matrix offers a history of the channel, so you do not miss anything
important, if offline.

If you use a modern full featured client, Audio & Videocalls between
users are possible.

Adhoc videoconferencing is possible. This comes in very handy for dev
meetings.

Bridging to Signal, Skype, IRC, Telegram and others is possible.

</advocating>