Re: [exim] IRC channel for Exim

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Heiko Schlittermann
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] IRC channel for Exim
Cyborg via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Do 27 Mai 2021 16:08:53 CEST):
> Am 26.05.21 um 10:55 schrieb Jeremy Harris via Exim-users:
> > If anyone wants to comment, please raise a hand.
>
> I shall ask you, the community, if you would adopt Matrix as an IRC
> alternative.

> You should know, that there was a bridge to Matrix already working in the
> freenodesystem. it had some minor bugs, but all was mirrored from irc to
> matrix.

For me this bridge was unidirectional only, it didn't send my Matrix
messages to IRC/freenode.

> It's possible to host this for the Exim Community, used to the sole purpose
> of offering some public channels,
> which can be visted by any Matrix Account on any homeserver out there in the
> federation.

*By any Matrix account* - I'm not sure if I'd want to register an
account for the sole purpose to get Exim help. IRC seems to be more open
here. But that's just *my* point of view. Matrix doesn't seem to be
widely established as a support channel yet, at least - again - from my
limited point of view.

> The Exim team could/should have accounts on this server to use some internal
> devs/security channels
> and connect to each other easier. It's also possible to have distro-sec
> channel there. No limits.

We have mailing lists. And for short ping-pong messages IRC just served
the purpose.

Please don't get me wrong - I do not vote against Matrix, but I do not
see a good reason to drop IRC. But - if we setup a Matrix server, I'd
use it and we can see if this gets more users than the #exim channel on
libera.chat.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann