[exim] EXIM clusters and rate limiting

Author: Brad King
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] EXIM clusters and rate limiting
Hi All,

I am wanting to set up a bunch of EXIM servers in a cluster for both
incoming and outgoing email.

What I am trying to find out specifically is about rate limiting. I
need the ability to apply different classes of service for different
IP addresses. That is, they will have different rate limits and
connection limits.

I understand this is quite easy on a single server, but how do I
configure this on a cluster?

For example, if IP 1.1.1.1 was assigned 2000 messages/hour. I have 10
EXIM servers behind my VIP.. How do I ensure that 1.1.1.1 can only
send max 2000 messages/hour? It would be possible, on a 'per server'
basis that they may make a connection to multiple EXIM servers within
the hour which would give them a possible volume of 20000
messages/hour(2000x10 EXIM servers)

Same theory for connection limiting.

I really don't want to do this at the load balancer by using sticky
connections that last for an hour.

Is there any documentation out there that someone could point me to
for setting up large clusters and enabling this kind of rate limiting?
I guess I am asking is there a way for each EXIM server to know what
the others are doing so as to make decisions on connections and rate
limits?

Cheers,

Brad