Re: [exim] MX record exists but exim doesn't detect it

Author: Sagar Acharya
To: Odhiambo Washington
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] MX record exists but exim doesn't detect it

> In your /etc/hostname (Ubuntu) contains > mail.designman.org <http://mail.designman.org>> . Exim will know this as the *primary_hostname* and use it.
> Does Exim check whether primary_hostname is really my system's hostname? YES!!!

This is strange. In conf it's written exim checks hostname by uname command. uname shows the hostname 'Linux' and not mail. I have hostname 'mail' in /etc/hostname . I presume you didn't mean mail.designman.org as hostname but only mail. So even if hostname shows mail, uname shows Linux. What will exim see?

> Now, if you lookup for mail handling for > anonymous@???> , you see the MX host to be > mail.designman.org <http://mail.designman.org>> .
> You can name the host anything you want. It doesn't have to be called "mail".

I don't get this. MX record of designman.org points to mail.designman.org. Is mail.designman.org just an email pointer to my domain ip?

Can I redirect http://mail.designman.org to http://designman.org or will this cause a port problem for mails?

> Now to answer your questions:
> 1. How to add users - you have two types of users - system users or virtual users. System users are created using your OSes user management too (adduser, useradd, whatever) while virtual users can be name maps in a flat file or a database (like MySQL, PgSQL, etc) You then tell Exim how to find the virtual users. It does know how to find system users - the ones in /etc/passwd. And the passwords their respective account passwords? YES
> 2. root is the system's root account. Postmaster alias is the e-mail address of the human running the system (OS). If Exim has anything to tell root, the mapping of root:postmaster ensures that the mail Exim sends to root ends up being read and acted upon by that human,
> 3. As I already said, the primary hostname is not usually something you tell Exim. It deduces it from the FQDN of the server OS and this is usually in /etc/hostname for most Linuxes and /etc/rc.conf got *BSDs.

Fantastic. This was exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot!

> I am tempted to ask for the reason why you want to run your own mail server! I guess you want to have > sacharya@???> . Besides, you will need to fight spam sent to your e-mail address.

I'll manage. There is always a first time. Ideally, I want send-only server but I don't know the configuration for that, so I'm setting up whatever I can. I'll get to that slowly.

> Anyway, let me refer you to > www.exim4u.org <http://www.exim4u.org>> - it is a MySQL based user management (virtual users) and right there you will find a way to install and configure the bits you need to run a mail server.
> If you aren't good with doing all that, I can gladly help you setup everything the way you want until you are satisfied, but at a small fee - > AmazonSmile: Logitech MX Keys Advanced Wireless Illuminated Keyboard - Graphite: Computers & Accessories <https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S92QBCJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1>>  :-)
> That will involve giving you some training as well.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

--
Sagar Acharya
https://designman.org