Re: [exim] MX record exists but exim doesn't detect it

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Sagar Acharya
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] MX record exists but exim doesn't detect it
On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 13:23, Sagar Acharya <sagaracharya@???>
wrote:

> > In your /etc/hostname (Ubuntu) contains > mail.designman.org <
> http://mail.designman.org>> . Exim will know this as the
> *primary_hostname* and use it.
> > Does Exim check whether primary_hostname is really my system's hostname?
> YES!!!
> >
> This is strange. In conf it's written exim checks hostname by uname
> command. uname shows the hostname 'Linux' and not mail. I have hostname
> 'mail' in /etc/hostname . I presume you didn't mean mail.designman.org as
> hostname but only mail. So even if hostname shows mail, uname shows Linux.
> What will exim see?
>
> > Now, if you lookup for mail handling for > anonymous@???> ,
> you see the MX host to be > mail.designman.org <http://mail.designman.org>>
> .
> > You can name the host anything you want. It doesn't have to be called
> "mail".
> >
> I don't get this. MX record of designman.org points to mail.designman.org.
> Is mail.designman.org just an email pointer to my domain ip?
>
> Can I redirect http://mail.designman.org to http://designman.org or will
> this cause a port problem for mails?
>
> > Now to answer your questions:
> > 1. How to add users - you have two types of users - system users or
> virtual users. System users are created using your OSes user management too
> (adduser, useradd, whatever) while virtual users can be name maps in a flat
> file or a database (like MySQL, PgSQL, etc) You then tell Exim how to find
> the virtual users. It does know how to find system users - the ones in
> /etc/passwd. And the passwords their respective account passwords? YES
> > 2. root is the system's root account. Postmaster alias is the e-mail
> address of the human running the system (OS). If Exim has anything to tell
> root, the mapping of root:postmaster ensures that the mail Exim sends to
> root ends up being read and acted upon by that human,
> > 3. As I already said, the primary hostname is not usually something you
> tell Exim. It deduces it from the FQDN of the server OS and this is usually
> in /etc/hostname for most Linuxes and /etc/rc.conf got *BSDs.
> >
> Fantastic. This was exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot!
>
> > I am tempted to ask for the reason why you want to run your own mail
> server! I guess you want to have > sacharya@???> . Besides, you
> will need to fight spam sent to your e-mail address.
> >
> I'll manage. There is always a first time. Ideally, I want send-only
> server but I don't know the configuration for that, so I'm setting up
> whatever I can. I'll get to that slowly.

Instead of setting up a whole server for send-only, why don't you just set
up whatever it is to use a remote mail server, with authentication? You
seem to want to kill a flea with a mallet :-)
Hopefully, you are not setting up something to fill the Internet with spam.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,