Re: [exim] Problems with connecting on port 465 with SSL

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problems with connecting on port 465 with SSL
On 14/01/2020 15:28, Jutta Wrage via Exim-users wrote:
> I cam trying to solve the following problem using exim4 and dovecot:
>
> Users having their own sites inside the domain (sitex.domain.de) should send their outgoing mail in SSL sessions connecting to port 465. The password will be verified by dovecot.
>
> Now I habe the problem that Exim is not accepting what the clients are sending. They get disconnected already before the password is verified.
>
> The error in main.log is:
>
> SMTP protocol synchronization error (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=[...] input="\200C\001\003\001"
>
> Is there any solution to this problem?

I think you've not told exim that for port 465 it should be doing
TLS-on-connect, as a server. So it is expecting to speak first,
sending an (inclear) SMTP banner - but the client is firing in
a TLS Client Hello.

You need the main-config option setting:

tls_on_connect_ports = 465

See
http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-starting_the_daemon_and_the_use_of_network_interfaces.html#SECTsupobssmt

--