Re: [exim] data timeout on connection

Author: Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat.com)
To: bulk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] data timeout on connection

> Am 18.10.2019 um 09:32 schrieb Hardy via Exim-users <exim-users@???>:
>
> Cyborg,
>
> you mean it really may happen that "all of a sudden" my kernel is not IP stack compatible with half of the other world?

Had a similar „effect“ since 4.92* with only a few out of hundreds MTAs connecting to EXIM on our side in a large NOC (now firewall or similiar in between). Sometimes the senders get the mail even trough after several retries.

Machine is NetBSD based and worked flawless over „years“ with EXIM.

My intention was any „security“ or „firewalling“ stuff ons enders side, but even some more large services (with a high load of daily email) was affected.

I unconfigured / commented out some stuff (bit as shots in the dark...) like:

- acl_check_mail
- acl_check_notsmtp
- acl_check_notsmtp
- removed some DNSBL requests (shorten timing / eliminate some DNS reqs)

which seemed to „help" (as far as i can see for now). As the effect is very hard to replicate it is not easy to troubleshoot / dig into (for me). For me it seemed to as an runtime bug or similiar in exim (propably depending from the „environment“ in any way).

just to add here…

many thanks,

niels.

Niels Dettenbach