[exim] RFC: submission mode should strip BCC header?

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] RFC: submission mode should strip BCC header?
Hi,

as recently "discovered" by Ian Z and me, at least one MUA strips the
BCC headers before submitting the message, but fails to do so when
"resending" the message. (I'm talking about Mutt, and its "bounce"
capability).

For me this is somewhat unexpected behaviour, I think, in the firt
place it is not Exim's job to fix that.

But, OTOH, wouldn't it be helpful to enhance the submission mode,
to strip the BCC header(s)?

    control = submission                # strip BCC
    control = submission/bcc_reatain    # don't do so

Yes, I'd even vote for this incompatible change, because I believe, that
is what most users would expect, isn't it?

And yes, I know, I'm free to do a "remove_header = BCC:" already now.
But - who does it? And the default settings should be as useful as
possible. (I'm talking about the default "settings", not the default
"configuration file".)

    Best regards from Atlanta/GA
    Viele Grüße aus Atlanta/USA
    Heiko Schlittermann