Re: [exim] RFC: submission mode should strip BCC header?

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC: submission mode should strip BCC header?
Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Do 26 Sep 2019 08:03:11 EDT):
> On 26/09/2019 12:47, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:
> > as recently "discovered" by Ian Z and me, at least one MUA strips the
> > BCC headers before submitting the message, but fails to do so when
> > "resending" the message. (I'm talking about Mutt, and its "bounce"
> > capability).
>
> Well, it's broken.
>

> > For me this is somewhat unexpected behaviour, I think, in the firt
> > place it is not Exim's job to fix that.
> >
> > But, OTOH, wouldn't it be helpful to enhance the submission mode,
> > to strip the BCC header(s)?
> >

> >     control = submission                # strip BCC
> >     control = submission/bcc_reatain    # don't do so

> You could just as justifiably strip it from all mail, using
> headers_remove. No new feature needed, only a config addition.

I do not like to do it unconditionally on each mail in transit. because
this header might be there on purpose. Yes, I can combine it with other
ACL conditions to restrict it to submissing hosts etc.

I only want to easy the configuration for the "assumed to be normal
situation" when operating in submission mode. As in this mode Exim modifies
the message in a way it otherwise wouln't be authorized to do. (IMHO)

--
Heiko