Re: [exim] exim4 smarthost out, fetchmail in conf

Author: Martin McCormick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 smarthost out, fetchmail in conf
Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users <exim-users@???> writes:
> Whenever a recent Exim is configured to advertise TLS
> (tls_advertise_hosts), it tries to create a self-signed certificate
> until you point Exim to the certificate file.
>
> Exim's hard wired default for tls_advertise_hosts is '*' since 4.xx
>
> You seem to have a Debian based system. As far as I know, they kept the
> old default (nothing) for tls_advertise_hosts and change it to '*',
> whenever you enable TLS via Debian MAIN_TLS_ENABLE macro.
>
> So I'd say, it should be sufficient not to enable this macro. Having the
> macro empty does not undefine it. You need to comment it out. If I'm
> not wrong about the macro mechanics.
>
>     Best regards from Dresden/Germany
>     Viele Grüße aus Dresden
>     Heiko Schlittermann

Thank you extremely. I must admit that I am not familiar with
the programming language other than I can tell what it is doing
more or less. Is there a name for it or is it peculiar to exim4?

    The year 2019 marks the 30TH year I have known about
unix-like systems which is technically the name given to any unix
that is not from AT&T Labs.  I never seas to be amazed at what I
still don't know after all these years, 25 of them working with
various unix-like and even some DEC Ultrix systems in the early
90's.

    Anyway, I think I got it.  I still sent a message which
successfully passed through the smarthost and the certificate
warnings stopped completely.  I certainly know now how to bring
back that functionality if needed later.

    We've been hearing in our news about your heat wave this
Summer and how they have had to impose speed limits on highways
due to buckling pavement.

Again, thanks.

Martin McCormick