Re: [pcre-dev] (*THEN) works differently in Perl

Author: ND
To: Pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] (*THEN) works differently in Perl
On 2019-07-03 17:33, ph10 wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019, ND via Pcre-dev wrote:
>> It seems a Perl is so buggy or have really different conception of
> (*COMMIT)
> > then PCRE.
>I am waiting for further information from the Perl developers, but I
> suspect that I won't want to change PCRE2, except perhaps to add more
> detail to the documentation. In pcre2compat.3 there are already some
> comments about differences in the way the (*VERB)s are processed. Note
> also that they interact badly with optimizations (both in PCRE2 andPerl).

Internal voice says to me that there will be no answer from Perl
developers :)
No answer (at all or next waited answer in thread) is a frequent thing in
a perl bug tracker.
It's obvious that COMMIT realization have bugs in Perl
(https://rt.perl.org/Public/Search/Simple.html?q=*commit). Users worries
about this but Perl developers no.

PCRE have much more consistent and documented behaviour of backtracking
control verbs.
So it seems be best to not change PCRE behaviour around COMMIT and THEN in
unnecessary attempts to achieve full compatibility with Perl.

You be free to close this thread.