Re: [exim] Failure to deliver to Gmail

Author: Viktor Dukhovni
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Failure to deliver to Gmail
On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 04:44:33PM +0100, Richard Jones via Exim-users wrote:

> On Jun 27, Niels Dettenbach wrote
> > Relaying to GMail from "unknown third party" SMTP servers could be very
> > limited / "downslowed" by different "temp avail" strategies. Google offers a
> > "postmaster tool" which seem to shift reputation of "registered" SMTP
> > Servers:
> > https://www.gmail.com/postmaster/
> >
> > If i remember correct, i got (as a postmaster of some larger organisation
> > with few hundreds of ("mass mailed") gmail recipients by some days) a message
> > from Google to "visit" their postmaster tools and register our mail systems.
> > Since then (few hours later) any relaying was not delayed anymore.
>
> Good to know, thanks. I've signed up (they require an additional DNS TXT
> record for validation which is enough for me to do). I guess now I'll
> sit tight. It doesn't explain why the GNU TLS client succeeds though.

It does not explain your reported symptoms because it is a general
hand-waving answer that does not apply to your situation. The
problem you reported is a bug in Exim with recent GnuTLS versions
when doing TLS 1.3. You need a patched Exim, OpenSSL, or need to
disable TLS 1.3, which IIRC is enough to avoid that particular
issue.

--
    Viktor.