Re: [exim] From rewrite for incoming messages

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: Sujit Acharyya-Choudhury
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] From rewrite for incoming messages
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019, Sujit Acharyya-Choudhury via Exim-users wrote:

> Is there a safe way to rewrite From field for ALL incoming messages?

Sadly there is not.

Or at least there is no way to determine *for all messages*
what would be a safe string to use as the replacement.

Each message can have two "from" lines; I can't remember the proper
terminology but call them "the Envelope From" and "the header From:",
and then there is the Reply-To: header too.
Some of these can contain more than one address and some can have a name
as well as an address.

Each of these is under control of the original sender.

SPF, DKIM, DMARC (and ARC) are all attempts at allowing intermediate
mail servers to verifying and authenticate one or more of these
address/names, or at least saying "I cannot confirm this address".

This problem is well known and many people have attempted to find
solutions to what is ultimately a fundamental problem with SMTP,
but ultimately if you cannot trust every step of the chain there
is no way of computing a safe answer.