Re: [exim] Sieve legal question, somehow offtopic

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: jan-jun.2019@dipl-ing-kessler.de
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sieve legal question, somehow offtopic
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, jan-jun.2019--- via Exim-users wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry for this trivial question, but maybe you know the answer by mind:
>
> We are using a ubuntu webserver with exim4 and cyrus imap on it.
>
> Recently I tried to apply a sieve rule to barr unwanted (spam) emails
> directly at the front door, using SIEVE REJECT.
>
> But, any attempt to import the needed module fails when trying
> 'require "reject";'
>
> And, even worse: our so-called "webhoster", who is running these machines,
> claims that disabling / disallowing "sieve reject" is now a "EU-wide law"
> and they are forced to do so.
>
> I doubt that this can be true, but, does someone know for sure?

I can see the thinking. As pages like
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/9v010d/sieve_filter_reject_command/
suggest, "reject" can leak personal information (alternative email addresses)
back to the sender (unlike "discard").

If a webhoster enabled reject for another user, they could possibly be
considered to have allowed that personal information to leak, which could
possibly be against the GDPR.

I don't see how it would be illegal to use "reject" on your own sieve
filter. I think your webhoster is being paranoid and covering their
own back(s), but as they say, IANAL (I am not a Lawyer).

Good luck persuading your webhoster.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                    Cambridge, UK
             andrew@???