Re: [exim] Sieve legal question, somehow offtopic

Author: jan-jun.2019@dipl-ing-kessler.de
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sieve legal question, somehow offtopic
>> But, any attempt to import the needed module fails when trying
>> 'require "reject";'
>
> Are you sure exim even implements this feature? The Filter Spec says at
> the beginning of Chapter 2: [1]
>
>> The Exim Sieve implementation offers the core as defined by RFC 3028,
>> comparison tests, the subaddress parameter, the copy, envelope,
>> fileinto, notify, and vacation extensions, but not the reject
>> extension. Exim does not support message delivery notifications
>> (MDNs), so adding it just to the Sieve filter (as required for reject)
>> makes little sense.
>
> [1]
> https://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/filter_ch-sieve_filter_files.html

Hi,

as mentioned earlier, this question is slightly offtopic and rather for
academic interest. It looks like sieve rules apply to Cyrus IMAP deamon,
rather that to exim on these machines our webhoster is running.

In our webhoster's faq they write:

"Due to technical and lawful requirements the following limitations apply:
[...] no discard, no redirect [...]
[...] only the following extentions are allowed:
fileinto, imapflags, envelope, body, relational, regex und subaddress [...]"

See here:
https://www.variomedia.de/faq/Wie-konfiguriere-ich-die-Filterregeln/article/220
(German)

So, again, please excuse me -- this is a generic legal question, not
(only) related to exim.

Best regards,

Markus