Re: [exim] SMTP (+auth) via unix socket?

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP (+auth) via unix socket?
On 2018-10-08, Felipe Gasper via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I’m running as root and want to send notifications to remote
> addresses. I’d like the first “Received” header to show “esmtpa”, but
> it appears that in order to do that I have to authenticate. Since I’m
> root and can control the server it seems like this shouldn’t be
> necessary, but I recognize that if IP connections are the only option
> to send SMTP, then authentication is necessary.

The received header is a sting expansion - so you can put anything at
all in there. If you want to change it it could mean pawing over chapter
11 of the spec and typing lots of braces into the config.

>     What if, though, Exim could receive SMTP via a unix socket?
> Exim could read the socket’s peer credentials on accept(), and if
> those credentials indicate that the client socket was created as root,
> then Exim would be justified in considering any SMTP message received
> from that socket to be authenticated.

root and trusted_users and trusted_groups (config settings)

It could also treat a user socket as authenticated by that user, same
as local submission... but local submission normally gets a different
method in the received header...

--
Notsodium is mined on the banks of denial.