[exim] SMTP (+auth) via unix socket?

Author: Felipe Gasper
To: exim users
Subject: [exim] SMTP (+auth) via unix socket?
Hello,

    I’m running as root and want to send notifications to remote addresses. I’d like the first “Received” header to show “esmtpa”, but it appears that in order to do that I have to authenticate. Since I’m root and can control the server it seems like this shouldn’t be necessary, but I recognize that if IP connections are the only option to send SMTP, then authentication is necessary.

    What if, though, Exim could receive SMTP via a unix socket? Exim could read the socket’s peer credentials on accept(), and if those credentials indicate that the client socket was created as root, then Exim would be justified in considering any SMTP message received from that socket to be authenticated.

    It would also be a slightly faster interface into Exim since the connection wouldn’t have the TCP/IP overhead.

    Has anything like this been discussed previously?

    Thank you!

-Felipe Gasper
Mississauga, Ontario