Re: [exim] exim4 Versions above about 4.80 Don't Talk to my …

Author: Adrian Zaugg
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 Versions above about 4.80 Don't Talk to my ISP's smarthost.

Hi Martin

On 01.06.18 04:41, Martin McCormick via Exim-users wrote:
>     The last part of this long message is the log of the
> delivery attempt.  As you see, I do now log in to the smarthost
> and the only reason for the failure is that the sender name gets
> changed.

>     The ISP knows me as martin.m which is why the process
> still falls short.  End of message except for the long log.

On Debian you set the outgoing email address map in the file:

    /etc/email-addresses

You can add a line like:
    martin: martin.m@???

The exim configuration for a simple use case can be made by

    dpkg-reconfigure -plow exim4-config

and answer the questions (chose smarthost) or simply edit

    /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

use: dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'

For a port specification like 587 you should use "::", so
    dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'
BTW: Have you tried 587 on smtp.suddenlink.net?

In Debian they tried to make it easy for you and for simple configs you
should not touch any config file at all. If you have some more demands
you can use
    /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs
to define macros inside. Debian uses a macro for almost everything. Just
watch at a config file, e.g.
/etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost and
you see lines like

.ifdef REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_AVOID_TLS
hosts_avoid_tls = REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_AVOID_TLS
.endif

Instead of editing there, go to
/etc/exim4/conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs and set

    REMOTE_SMTP_SMARTHOST_HOSTS_AVOID_TLS = <whatever comes here>

The value is then used from the macro (=the word in CAPS) in the right
place. Like this you edit just very few configs and the upgrade runs
smooth next time. When upgrading Debian compares the original configs
from the installed package with what's on a system. If there is a
difference you get those questions "The config file X was changed by you
or a script. [...]" That's why use the Debian split configuration and
change as few files as needed.

This unfortunately does not help in your situation.

If you set the port to 465 /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf, you need
to add a config file. There is no logic in the stock configuration to
detect that you are going to send to a TLS only connection.

This is another safe way for upgrading: You could just add a file
/etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost_tls
containing your stanza
    protocol = smtps
as the only line (and maybe some comment before). Then

    service exim4 reload

creates the actual config file for exim which resides then
    /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
The given configuration is linted before it replaces the
config.autogenerated, so you get a warning at least for syntax problems.
You can see in there that your protocol stanza appears in the right
place belonging to the section "remote_smtp_smarthost:".

This is very Debian specific and does not belong on this list
actually.... :-)

Regards, Adrian.