Re: [exim] exim4 Versions above about 4.80 Don't Talk to my …

Author: Martin McCormick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 Versions above about 4.80 Don't Talk to my ISP's smarthost.

Phil Pennock via Exim-users <exim-users@???> writes:
> I'm going to just discuss the Exim side of things, terminology and such,
> to hopefully provide enough context and terminology for you; I can't
> really help with the Debian config building.
>
> There are two different identifiers:
>
> 1. Which address is the sender of the email
> 2. What is the authentication account for SMTP AUTH
>
> The log-file you show has the authentication account (2) as martin.m
> which all works fine.

Correct.

> If you generate mail with a particular sender (1), then that's what Exim
> normally sends. You can use "rewrites" to change that.
>
> I suspect that in your upgrade you lost a rewrite configuration item.
>
> Does this provide enough terminology to let you fix it?

It certainly does. I apologize for the long log message which
was actually the output of exim -d -M with a message ID. For
those who thought I accidentally gave away the password, I
noticed what was in the output in time to do a global replace so
the password is safe and no, it's not "safe." This is like
"Who's on First?"

    My thanks to everybody.  I think the reason it seemed to
just quit working was I didn't realize when the file in
/etc/exim4/conf.d/transport got replaced and thought something
more complex was afoot.

    Thanks for everybody's patience.  I am new to this list
but not new to unix or computing so I will make sure that the
rewrites are back and that should make it all good again.

Martin McCormick