Re: [exim] rewrite incorrect date headers from email clients

Author: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] rewrite incorrect date headers from email clients
On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 09:52:28PM +0200, Sebastian Nielsen via Exim-users wrote:
> How I do to rewrite the date header from email clients in exim4 config
> so it are replaced with the server date/time?
>
> The problem is that some clients and software are submitting an
> incorrect date header (like 1 jan 1960) causing the email to be
> delivered to the bottom of user's clients and sometimes sorted as spam
> due to the incorrect date.
>
> So I would want to replace the incorrect header with an correct one
> fetched from the server time.
> How can this be accomplished?

1. It's not clear how you would decide that date header is incorrect.
Which creteria would be used for such decision?

2. Header rewriting means delivery of wrong (false) information to
recipient, that is a Bad Thing. If you want to deliver a mail with
"correct date", you have better to make a special mail message
for user and attach a copy of the original mail to it.

3. Alternative approach is to reject mails with incorrect date header.
There is no problem to write ACL which check, for example, presence
of current year in date header, as "2018" substring. Do not forget
to reject with some informative message for sender, say, "This message
was rejected because it has invalid date header "$h_date:"".
--
Eugene Berdnikov