Re: [exim] UTF 8 From header

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] UTF 8 From header
On 2018-05-01, Ted Cooper via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is this a legal "From:" header?
>
>> From: =?utf-8?b?IkVsbGEgQmFjaMOpIiA8ZGlnaXRhbEBlbGxhYmFjaGUuY29tLmF1Pg==?=

yes. RFC5322 makes no concrete restrictions on From header content.

> How would one extract the email address from it using Exim?

according to RFC2047 the header content is

'"Ella Baché" <digital@???>'

according to RFC5322 that header does not contain an email address,
only the string '"Ella Baché" <digital@???>'

> Thunderbird doesn't decode it properly; some of the other available
> tools I've found either completely fail to decode it or seem to work
> just fine.

Anything that finds an email address in there is part of the problem.

RFC2047 requires breaks between atoms in this case a break between the
part than means '"Ella Baché"' and the part that means '<digital@???>'

RFC5322 reqires literal < > around the email address part.

this would be one way to do it correctly:

From: "=?utf-8?b?RWxsYSBCYWNow6k=?=" <digital@???>

best move is probably to tell them to use "Ella Bache" as their from name
until they can get their mailer software fixed to that it produces
actual emails, and not merely email-like documents.

--
     ت