Re: [exim] Avast and invalid response from scanner

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Avast and invalid response from scanner
On 14/03/18 16:30, Heiko Schlittermann via Exim-users wrote:
> Luca Bertoncello via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mi 14 Mär 2018 15:11:04 CET):
>> I added /defer_ok to solve this problem, but of course the paniclog will
>> always receive these errors...
>
> I'm not sure, if defer_ok is the right way, except you agree with
> getting messages with zip bombs (in your case)
>
> As it is not very clear to me, which conditions lead to an error
> reported by Avast, I decided to interpret Avast errors as "please, try
> later, I ran into a problem".
>
> I'll rethink, if this messages need to go to the panic log, as it's no
> panic at all.
>
> @JGH: What do you think? If the scanner enging returns an error, I'd
> tend to see this as a normal "defer", not as a reason to log this as a
> panic condition, as Exim is still operational.

In general I'd say yes; defer.

But specifically for this error, it will repeat every time (the content
won't change, so Avast will still say "I'm not prepared to deal with
this) - so we'll take temp-errors until the source times out.
This could be regarded as suboptimal, even though not incorrect.

If we can identify the specific problem from the Avast prototcol
I'd suggest a hard-error result would be preferable. But only if.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy