Re: [exim] Retry Rules

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry Rules
Hi, Joe -

Just from looking at the rule I believe it will do what you describe, with
the proviso that periods are are measured from the time of the first failed
delivery attempt. (So it would "try every minute for the first hour from
the first failed delivery attempt, then every 30 minutes until 4 hours have
gone by from the first failed delivery attempt")

You're presumably not seeing this happening, but withholding the
information about what you're actually seeing to make us guess.

So if it's the timings being out a bit then the measuring being done from
the first delivery attempt rather than the end of the previous period might
explain it. You can do some testing using Exim's "-brt" command line option.

Or, as Heiko has just said, you're not running queue runner processes at
all/frequently enough. It's the queue runner that does the retry, so
whenever one runs it looks for messages that are ready to be retried and
does so. If you're not running any queue runners at all then there'll be no
retries. If you're only running a queue runner once a day, then that's when
the retried are done.

Here I run a queue runner every 2 minutes, but with a cap on how many can
exist at once using queue_run_max.

Cheers,
Mike B-)