Re: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections
On 2017-03-19, Rical Jasan <ricaljasan@???> wrote:
> On 03/17/2017 09:53 AM, Dan Liles wrote:
>> What version of exim are you using?
>
> On this particular host it's 4.88, but from EPEL:
>
> $ rpm -q exim
> exim-4.88-2.el6.x86_64
>
> I was going to build from source because that package was years-stale,
> but they recently started paying attention to it again.
>
> The per-message keys make sense (see Jeremy's reply), and the problem
> eventually went away. I was thinking if it were absolutely necessary to
> not contact those hosts/domains for a given period, one could probably
> manage that with smarter queue runners. In this case, start one every 4
> hours for recipients in the given domain, and make sure any other queue
> runners don't try to process them if shorter interval runners were
> necessary.

I use every thirty minutes, but I'm running two instances of exim one
with more frequent runs, then I use delivery_event and write a redis
record when I see a trigger phrase in the response.

The redis record holds an ip list excluding the ip address of the server
and is used as ignore_target_hosts in a router to side-track the next
delivery attempt of that, and similar messages to the slow instance.