Re: [exim] Exim's Ability to Limit Client Email Download Amo…

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim's Ability to Limit Client Email Download Amount
* on the Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 02:39:55PM +0000, David Byrne wrote:

> We have a client who has a large number (1000+) of users, sending ~25,000
> emails per day. Inbox turnover is high, and the way in which they work
> requires the mail clients (Outlook in this case for the most part) to only
> download a set number (or time period) of emails. For example, each mail
> client would want 3000, or 30days worth of emails in their client at any one
> time.
>
> Outlook and other mail clients do not support this, so it must be enforced at
> server level somehow. Is this something Exim can do? I have looked around
> quite a bit, and can see no mention of this as a feature as such. Any
> suggestions or assistance is welcome. Thanks.

Exim is an MTA, which means it delivers mail into a mailbox. It is not involved
with the process of an email client fetching email out of a mailbox. If I were
to do this project, I would configure the MTA (Exim or whatever already exists)
to deliver the mail into a "hidden" mailbox which the users don't have access
to. I would then write a script which would poll the users mailboxes via IMAP
every few minutes/whatever to see if they have room for new mail. If they do,
the script would move mail out of the hidden mailbox and into theirs. If you
don't have the expertise in-house to create such a tool, and don't find a ready
made solution, I can do it for you - http://cardwellit.com

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F