Re: [exim] Changing email headers to reflect server IP when …

Author: Phillip Carroll
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Changing email headers to reflect server IP when they pass through Exim
On 4/17/2015 11:15 AM, James Worix wrote:
> we have an issue with mobile devices that use third party email clients
> to send and receive emails. The problem being that when they are in the
> field using Verizon LTE or similar that their dynamic ips are
> automatically blacklisted in most major DNS lists. I only really have 2
> options.
>
> 1. Everyone buys a clean static ip (expensive)
> 2. Rewrite the headers of the email to reflect the server's ip address
> (free)

Actually, you are overlooking a third option:

This post is being sent from my desktop via a Comcast Cable IP, which
you will find nowhere in the header. Instead, you will see that it
originates on the exim server itself, located about 800 miles away.

I send and receive all email using an SSH tunnel between my desktop and
the server.

Although I have never done this with mobile devices, a quick web search
will show you that SSH is readily available for a variety of mobile
devices.