Re: [exim] Changing email headers to reflect server IP when …

Author: Phillip Carroll
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Changing email headers to reflect server IP when they pass through Exim
On rereading what I wrote earlier, I realize I didn't adequately explain
the process of emailing via SSH tunnel.

The specific SSH client I use in Windows supports the ability to forward
arbitrary listening ports on the client computer to arbitrary
destination ports on the SSH connected server.

I use ThunderBird on my desktop as both an IMAP client, and SMTP client.
ThunderBird is configured to use arbitrary ports on IP 127.0.0.1.

The SSH client is configured to listen for these ports and forward them
to the IMAP and SMTP ports on localhost at the connected SSH server.
(Exim is the smtp server software, and Dovecot the IMAP server software.)

Also: Technically, I HAVE used a mobile device for an SSH tunnel,
specifically an Android cell phone. However, the phone had no SSH
software itself. It was simply a signal relay device. The phone was
connected via USB to my Windows 7 notebook that was running the SSH
client described above, while tethered to the Verizon 3G network on the
other side. Same TBird hookup for sending and receiving email as I am
doing right now.

An actual SSH client app on the cell (for greater email mobility) would
need to support port forwarding of the type described (or something
similar) to originate emails on the cell.