Re: [exim] How can exim do this?

Author: Rick Cooper
To: 'helices', exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How can exim do this?
helices wrote:
> I am tasked to design, build and maintain a new MTA. The company has
> one special requirement, for which I'm investigating the simplest
> solution:
>
> For each incoming message received, every outgoing "reply" must use
> the "To:" address from the incoming received message as the "From:"
> address
> in the outgoing reply.
>
> This is trivial when the incoming has "To: sally@???," Sally
> reads and replies, and the outgoing message has "From:
> sally@???"
>
> It's trickier when the incoming has "To: info@???," the MTA
> delivers to an Exchange server, which distributes that message to
> Sally, and Sally replies. What is the simplest way for that outgoing
> message
> to use "From: info@????"
>
> Scope is roughly one hundred (100) different domains and, possibly,
> thousands of combinations with various username@???.
>
> Ideally, the MTA will handle all of header address processing,
> whatever that process might look like. I seek the simplest solution,
> regardless how that process looks and compares to the status quo.
>
> Please, advise. Thank you.
>
> ~Mike

The simple easy way to handle this would be to deliver info@domain to a real
mailbox and setup Sally's Outlook accounts to include both her private and
her info@ accounts. You can even create folders for each of the info@
addresses and use filters to move the incoming emails into the correct
folder and a copy of the replies into the same folder. Then Sally can easily
see how many unread info@domain1 and info@domain2 emails she has to handles
and every time she replies to an email it would go out from the same info@
from: address.

Sounds to me like you are using info@ as an alias and in your circumstance
it should be a real mailbox. There is no reason why Sally cannot have
multiple accounts on the same server with different user names, signatures
and email addresses

Rick