Re: [exim] How can exim do this?

Author: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How can exim do this?
On Ter, 03 Mar 2015, helices wrote:
> For each incoming message received, every outgoing "reply" must use
> the "To:" address from the incoming received message as the "From:"
> address in the outgoing reply.
>
> This is trivial when the incoming has "To: sally@???," Sally
> reads and replies, and the outgoing message has "From:
> sally@???"
>
> It's trickier when the incoming has "To: info@???," the MTA
> delivers to an Exchange server, which distributes that message to
> Sally, and Sally replies. What is the simplest way for that
> outgoing message to use "From: info@????"
>
> Ideally, the MTA will handle all of header address processing,
> whatever that process might look like. I seek the simplest
> solution, regardless how that process looks and compares to the
> status quo.

This doesn't look like a job for a MTA. From Exim's viewpoint, each
message is independent, the concept of replies is a feature of MUAs.

That said, it might be possible to do that using address rewriting
features and a perl script that identifies the original email based on
the In-Reply-To or References header of the reply[0], searches it in
the mail store, and gets the email from there.

[0] I'm not sure if it would be possible to access the body of the
email while rewriting addresses. If it's not possible, then this
solution won't work.

However, if the mail pool is large, as you imply, searching for an
specific email might take a long time. Also, while this is certainly
possible with mbox or Maildir emails, the use of Exchange might make
access to emails harder.

Also, what happens if the original email has been deleted? What
happens if the MUA does not include In-Reply-To or References headers?

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@???